March 24, 2009
A 93-year-old Japanese man has become the first person certified as a survivor of both U.S. atomic bombings at the end of World War II, officials said Tuesday.Tsutomu Yamaguchi had already been a certified "hibakusha," or radiation survivor, of the Aug. 9, 1945, atomic bombing in Nagasaki, but has now been confirmed as surviving the attack on Hiroshima three days earlier as well, city officials said.
Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on Aug. 6, 1945, when a U.S. B-29 dropped an atomic bomb on the city. He suffered serious burns to his upper body and spent the night in the city. He then returned to his hometown of Nagasaki just in time for the second attack, city officials said.
Like I ask above, is Yamaguchi a guy who can claim to have been doubly lucky in having survived both bombs? Or is he doubly unlucky for having been at the site of both? It is one of those questions to ponder. WouldnÂ’t it be fascinating, though, to be able to meet him and talk to him about those experiences?
Posted by: Greg at
12:11 PM
| Comments (2)
| Add Comment
Post contains 239 words, total size 1 kb.
March 09, 2009
A VA hospital director who upset veterans by removing a framed newspaper with the headline "Japs Surrender" said last week that he had permanently replaced it with the next dayÂ’s edition bearing the headline "Peace!"The The Indianapolis TimesÂ’ Aug. 14, 1945, front page has been replaced with the next day's edition featuring the "Peace!" headline because it better reflects what soldiers who served in World War II were fighting for, said Tom Mattice, director of Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
He said the new display was also not offensive to any particular group of veterans.
"What we really want to do is honor all of the veterans who come through our medical center to make sure that they feel respected and to make sure that their service is just as honored as everybody else who has served this country," Mattice said.
He said he consulted the VA's National Center for Ethics for advice and he said they supported his decision to permanently remove the initial newspaper display.
Mattice removed the "Japs Surrender" headline earlier this year after receiving a complaint from an employee offended by the term "Japs," a common slur during World War II.
If this were a larger display on WWII, I’d disagree with the decision to remove the newspaper. After all, terms like “Jap” and “Kraut” were a part of the ethos that pervaded the US as we fought in that war. The demonization of our enemies should and ought to be dealt with in such a display. But here it appears to be a display of newspapers, plucked free of that greater context. As such, the choice of the “Peace!” headline over the one with an ethnic slur is preferable.
At the same time, I don’t condemn the vets who wanted the other headline to remain. They want to make sure that our nation’s history is not whitewashed. That isn’t an evil motive – it is an expression of a legitimate desire to remember that earlier era and the sacrifices that began at Pearl Harbor and continued throughout the War in the Pacific. But in this situation, they are fighting a battle that they ought to lose, because a newspaper hung in a hallway does not a museum exhibit make. And ultimately, the peace that comes with victory was exactly what the heroes who fought in that war – and in every war – sought with every ounce of their strength.
Posted by: Greg at
04:44 PM
| No Comments
| Add Comment
Post contains 474 words, total size 3 kb.
57 queries taking 0.2482 seconds, 147 records returned.
Powered by Minx 1.1.6c-pink.